When we met a few weeks ago, in my first blog posting, I shared that one of the focuses of our business is providing people situational awareness – whether in their homes or business.
As we experience the winter months the potential for fire while combating the cold, at your home or business, is increased.
When was the last time you really looked at where you live or work for fire hazards?? . . . we often get so used to our day to day circumstances that we accept, without thinking, the oily rags on the garage floor – or the stack of newspapers in the laundry room or the cardboard, in the shop, waiting for the recycler.
Starting points for home and business fire prevention awareness:
*Know how to contact your local fire department
*Replace frayed cords and do not place wires under rugs
*Install ground fault circuit interrupter outlets especially near sources of water
*Never leave candles unattended * Keep fireplaces/chimneys clean and cover with a screen
*Keep space heaters out of walking paths and away from combustibles
*Unplug appliances when not in use * Never leave the stove or oven unattended
*Have a fire exit plan with at least two escape options, a place to meet safely outside, and practice.
*Have and maintain smoke sensors in all areas of the building * Have and maintain carbon monoxide sensors
In your area of influence or home or work . . . find all the things you can do to eliminate fire risks . . . it will be a blessing not only to you family and friends but those you don’t yet know.
Remember, that a monitored alarm system with smoke sensors will minimize injury and property loss by bringing the Fire department, at the earliest possible time, in the event of smoke and fire.
Do you have ideas to share? . . . your input might be a key in preventing a fire – it will be one less family that faces heartache and tragedy.